The first form of institutionalized standardization activities in the former Kingdom of Yugoslavia was established in 1939.
Throughout the history the Institute for Standardization of Serbia (ISS) has changed its legal status and official name on several occasions. In this regard, the Institute for Standardization of Serbia is the legal successor of the Institution for Standardization (2006-2003), Federal Institution for Standardization (2003-1978), Yugoslav Institute of Standardization (1978-1962) and the Federal Commission for Standardization (1962-1946).
Pursuant to the Law on Standardization („Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia“ No. 36/2009 and 46/2015) and the Decision on Amending of the Founding Act of the Institute for Standardization of Serbia („Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia“ No. 93/2015 and No. 27/2016) the Institute for Standardization of Serbia is the only recognized national standards body in the Republic of Serbia, a legal entity which operates in accordance with the regulations governing the legal status of public services. The founder of the Institute is the Government of the Republic of Serbia.
The Institute represents the interests of the Republic of Serbia in the following international and European organizations for standardization:
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO), where ISS is a full member since 1950;
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), where ISS is a full member since 1953;
- Worldwide System for Conformity Testing and Certification of Electrotechnical Equipment and Components(IECEE), where ISS is a full member since 1965;
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN), where ISS is s a full member since January 1, 2017;
- European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization (CENELEC), where ISS is s a full member since January 1, 2017;
- European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI).
In addition, the Institute is also engaged in activities regarding the accession of Serbia to WTO.