ISO 16852:2008 specifies the requirements for flame arresters that prevent flame transmission when explosive gas-air or vapour-air mixtures are present. It establishes uniform principles for the classification, basic construction and information for use, including the marking of flame arresters, and specifies test methods to verify the safety requirements and determine safe limits of use.
ISO 16852:2008 is valid for pressures ranging from 80 kPa to 160 kPa and temperatures ranging from -20 °C to +150 °C.
ISO 16852:2008 is not applicable to the following:
- external safety-related measurement and control equipment that might be required to keep the operational conditions within the established safe limits;
- flame arresters used for explosive mixtures of vapours and gases, which tend to self-decompose (e.g. acetylene) or which are chemically unstable;
- flame arresters used for carbon disulphide, due to its special properties;
- flame arresters whose intended use is for mixtures other than gas-air or vapour-air mixtures (e.g. higher oxygen-nitrogen ratio, chlorine as oxidant, etc.);
- flame arrester test procedures for internal-combustion compression ignition engines;
- fast acting valves, extinguishing systems and other explosion isolating systems;
- flame arresters integrated or combined with explosion-protected equipment, such as blowers, fans, compressors and pumps.
ISO 16852:2008Stage: 95.99
Corrigenda / AmendmentsWithdrawn
ISO 16852:2008/Cor 1:2008Withdrawn
ISO 16852:2008/Cor 2:2009
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
+41 22 749 08 88
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.