- specifies the minimum requirements for the design of labels containing linear bar code and two-dimensional symbols on transport units to convey data between trading partners;
- provides for traceability of transported units using a unique transport unit identifier (licence plate);
- provides guidance on the formatting on the label of data presented in linear bar code, two-dimensional symbol or human-readable form;
- provides specific recommendations regarding the choice of bar code symbologies, and specifies quality requirements;
- provides recommendations as to label placement, size and the inclusion of free text and any appropriate graphics;
- provides guidance on the selection of the label material.
This document is not applicable to the direct printing on to kraft coloured corrugated surfaces.
NOTE Guidance on the direct printing of bar code symbols on to kraft coloured corrugated surfaces are provided in references such as The Fibre Box Handbook.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2017-11
Edition: 3Number of pages: 68
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 122 Packaging
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
Buy this standard
|std 1 187|
|std 2 187||Paper|
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.60 (Under review)
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.