ISO 21549-5:2015 describes and defines the basic structure of the identification data objects held on healthcare data cards, but does not specify particular data sets for storage on devices.
The detailed functions and mechanisms of the following services are not within the scope of this part of ISO 21549 (although its structures can accommodate suitable data objects elsewhere specified):
- security functions and related services that are likely to be specified by users for data cards depending on their specific application, e.g. confidentiality protection, data integrity protection and authentication of persons and devices related to these functions;
- access control services;
- the initialization and issuing process (which begins the operating lifetime of an individual data card, and by which the data card is prepared for the data to be subsequently communicated to it according to this part of ISO 21549).
The following topics are therefore beyond the scope of this part of ISO 21549:
- physical or logical solutions for the practical functioning of particular types of data card;
- the forms that data take for use outside the data card, or the way in which such data are visibly represented on the data card or elsewhere.
Status: Under development
Edition: 3Number of pages: 8
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 215 Health informatics
- ICS :
- 35.240.80 IT applications in health care technology
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goal:
ISO/FDIS 21549-5Stage: 50.00
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.